Wednesday, May 7, 2014

How to Prepare for a Yugioh Tournament




Being a doctor in this country means taking tests … lots of them.  Over the past 30 years, I have taken the PSAT, ACT, SAT, MCAT, USMLE1, USMLE2, USMLE3, Internal Medicine Boards, Hematology Boards, Internal Medicine Boards Renewal and Hematology Boards Renewal.  If I have the strength and will to continue to practice, I can look forward to at least four more such tests.   


With all this practice, I have become rather adept at test taking.  So I suppose it is natural that my Yugioh tournament prep should mirror my test prep.  After all, both events require hours of intense focus and concentration; both have defined start time; and both require a photo ID to register.  The biggest difference is that standardized testing gives you a lunch break and Yugioh tournaments let you call a judge.   


So with that in mind, I present my tips on what to bring to a big Yugioh tournament.


Your deck and accessories:  Basic? Sure. Have people screwed it up? Yes. If you’re like most players, you probably have more than one deck, more than one deck box, and maybe more than one bag.  Nothing like opening your deck box at the beginning of round one and seeing Magic cards in it.  While you’re at it, make sure you have a mat, extra sleeves, and at least one die.  How many times have I seen players reach across the table like boarding house slobs to get dice?  Really, how hard is it to bring dice?  


Pen, score pad*, and/or calculator:  Should you keep score? Absolutely! Don’t rely on your opponent.  Pen and paper remain the best means since it creates a record that judges can peruse.  Calculators save some time but they can lead to disputes. Most phones are too cumbersome and some tournaments frown on their use. 


Deck list: I have seen players miss the deadline to enter a tournament because they were desperately trying to fit Karakuri Shogun MDL 00 “Burei” into their deck list.  Why subject yourself to so much stress? Konami lets you fill it out on line in the comfort and quiet of your own home.  Besides, taking your time will lower the chance of a mistake.  If you really can’t choose between Wiretap and Trap Stun, leave the space blank.  Filling in one card is a lot easier than 70.  I usually print several in case they are needed for side events.


Registration, photo ID, and cash: Konami does only cash. You will likely be able to get cash from an ATM at the venue.  However, these machines usually look like they are from the 60’s and they will have a hefty surcharge.  Most Konami events are $20. There is no reason not to get it early.  


 A small pharmacy:   I usually bring Tylenol, cough drops, and a decongestant.  There’s nothing like a headache to ruin a good tournament.  Coughing tends to disturb play whether it’s you or your opponent.  Perhaps, this is just the doctor in me, but I will happily hand my opponent a cough drop to keep him from contaminating my cards.  


Snacks and bottle water:  I’m not kidding when I say there is no lunch break.  Power bars, nuts, and dried fruit can help you power through when your opponent is wilting.


Layers of clothing: I have yet to go to the venue with the perfect clime. They are either too cold or too hot or start cold and get hot.  Be prepared for both. 


A rested mind:  For Peten’s sake, get some sleep.  Sleep deprivation does not serve either the SATs or your feature match well. 

* Make sure your pad is large enough to comfortably write on. Small pads are great for those with neat handwriting.  If you're like me, you need more room.  Fumbling with the score reflects badly on you.  


No comments:

Post a Comment