Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Why your dad is bad at Yugioh



There’s nothing like spending eight days in Haiti to put all things back in perspective.  Medicine is always challenging.  Now add differences in language, culture, and climate.  In the words of some of my younger Yugioh friends, the stuff got real … or something like that.  

It may take me a little while to get back into the game.  In the meantime, I have been thinking about another challenge – the challenge of age and Yugioh.  With that in mind, here are my reasons why your dad may not be so good at Yugioh.


  1.  He can’t see the cards. Do you want to know what it’s like to be an old Yugioh player?  Take an old pair of sunglasses, smear them with Vaseline, and try to read your cards.  PSCT is great until you can’t tell the difference between “:” and “;”.
  2. He likes his own ideas too much.  Your dad is may be reasonably accomplished.  He probably has had his share of successes.  Furthermore, he may believe the “For six years old and older” label on the card box.  So he comes up with his own deck and refuses to listen to the common wisdom.  We all fall victim to this problem.  When a combination we like works, we remember it; when it doesn’t, we blame that failure on something else.  As a result, we reinforce our own bad thinking.  Believe me young people, old people do not change quickly.
  3. He has money but no time.   There are advantages to age.  Yugioh cards may seem expensive, but it’s a cheap hobby compared to many others.  Do you know how many cards you can buy for one boat payment?  Have you looked at the cost of golf clubs? Travel of snow skiing?  Replacement parts for a Harley?  You get the idea.  What he doesn’t have is time.  You may be off doing the DN thing while he is trying to figure out why there is water on the kitchen floor. 
  4. He’s self-conscience. I can often forget that I am the oldest guy in the room.  I am fortunate to play with guys who neither coddle nor take advantage of me.  Once (and only once), I was called “pops” by some impertinent doolist.  Nevertheless, I can’t get through a big tournament without being aware of my age at some point.  Older players stick out – it’s inevitable.  How would you play if you were forced to wear a dress?  It could affect your concentration. 
  5. He doesn’t want to be “that guy”.    “That guy” is the rule shark or more simply “the jerk”.  I usually fold to such people instead of getting into a heated argument.  It’s unseemly to fight with someone who is literally half your age over a children’s card game.  For example, I was playing an Evilswarm player during a regional flight.  He attacked (by picking up his card, moving it towards my monster and saying “attack”).  I said “Damage step” and flipped up a Forbidden Lance.  At that point, he said I had to announce battle substeps before I could enter into the damage calculation.  At which point, I said “huh?” Sure, he wanted to play Pandemic and knew he couldn’t do so in the damage step.  I think I had a good case but I caved.  I would rather be known as a good sport than a winner.  I suspect your dad would do the same.  


Dads play this game because they want to spend time with their sons.  That’s why I started. If given the choice, I would rather lose with my son around then win without him.  But, I don’t get to make either of those choices.  

I suspect there are some sons out there that would rather have a dad that loses than no one at all.   

No comments:

Post a Comment